Best Maritime courses for Merchant navy jobs
Maritime courses as most of us know about are considered to be one of the most highly paid jobs. The world co-ordinates goods with each other through shipping, which gives the shipping industry opportunity to thrive and grow. With the shipping industry flourishing and transporting goods, there is more requirement of professionals, who can responsibly handle it and be a part of its growth.
Simply putting things, the businesses across the world requires more trained and qualified people who can smoothly handle the day-to-day functions taking place between the ocean voyage. It is what makes maritime courses a prime subject, which train students to take on various roles in the shipping industry.
Let’s find out what the course has to offer, to young students wanting to become professionals to take up the ocean.
Courses offered in the maritime course
The maritime course is a pool of training that students can take up for professional practice. However, when it comes to the hardcore maritime course, training courses and STCW courses are the once that are followed the most. STCW means, standards of training, certification and watchkeeping for seafarers.
In this module, essential knowledge is provided about the prevention and survival techniques. It includes theoretical and practical sessions, investigating causes of distress, experience, and the use of equipment’s launch and recovery of life rafts, preparation for survival and personal survival skills are taught.
In this module, essential knowledge is provided about the prevention and survival techniques. It includes theoretical and practical sessions, investigating causes of distress, experience, and the use of equipment’s launch and recovery of life rafts, preparation for survival and personal survival skills are taught.In this module, essential knowledge is provided about the prevention and survival techniques. It includes theoretical and practical sessions, investigating causes of distress, experience, and the use of equipment’s launch and recovery of life rafts, preparation for survival and personal survival skills are taught. STCW is divided into levels of courses-basic and advanced. The course consists of the following modules:
● Personal survival techniques
● Fire prevention and fire fighting
● Elementary first aid
● Personal safety and social responsibilities
● Proficiency in security awareness
It begins with an entry-level course and can be opted by people who wish to work aboard seafaring vessels and can further continue with the advanced once.
STCW training courses is required to be undertaken by all the seafarers under section A-VI/1 of the STCW Code. The history of all the activities carried out by seafarer is noted in seaman books in Dubai, and the course is intended to make sure that seafarers are ready to take up challenges onboard.
The course modules are mandatory, and they familiarise students with the necessary safety training requirements and is ideal for anyone who is looking for seafarer courses, training courses at al recreational level or those wishing to make a career at sea
Introduction to STCW course modules:
As mentioned above, STCW courses are divided into five basic modules. These modules are training sessions that prepare a seafarer holistically before taking up real-life challenges in the ocean. Here is a brief introduction and details to these modules.
1. Personal survival techniques:
The STCW personal survival techniques course covers the essential points when it comes to dealing with the survival situation at sea. Personal survival techniques lie at the core of STCW introductory safety training course and is amongst one of the two modules that require STCW2010 updates training every five years.
The course content of personal survival techniques are as follows:
- Principles for survival
- Location of personal life-saving appliances
- Equipment in survival craft
- Types of life-saving appliances carried out in vessels
- Types of emergencies such as collision, fire, sinking.
Practical training is a massive part of learning any survival skill, and hence there are various activities that seafarers are taught during personal training sessions. These activities and achievements are recorded in seaman books in Dubai, and they include donning life jackets, donning and use an immersion suit, safely entering the water from heights, swimming with life jackets and more. Additional activities include:
- Righting an inverted raft
- Boarding a life raft from ship and water
- Taking initial actions onboarding a life raft
- Streaming a drogue or sea anchor
- Operating location devices and radio equipment.
2. Fire prevention and fire fighting:
The STCW Fire prevention and fire-fighting course deal with the necessary precaution that mitigates the risk of fires onboard vessels and how fires are caused and the first means of extinguishing them. The trains seafarers with the use of actual fire-fighting equipment and the use of breathing apparatus.
The course involves the following content:
- Mitigating risk of fire
- Maintain the state of readiness to respond in emergencies
- Fighting and extinguishing fire
- Shipboard fire-fighting organization
- Location of fire-fighting appliances and emergency escapes
- Elements of fire and explosion
- Types of sources of ignition
- Flammable material, fire hazard and spread of fire
- Fire and smoke detection through automatic alarms
- Use of breathing apparatus
- Live fire fighting
The successful completion of the activities is recorded in seaman books in Dubai, and after successful completion of the course, the students are awarded government recognized STCW certifications.
3. Elementary first aid:
This course is the basic elementary course module which is an amalgamation of theory and practical training, and it teaches students basic first aid and life-saving skills. This course is intended for all the seafaring personnel who need to be able to practice elementary first aid onboard vessel.
The course content of elementary first aid involves:
- Dealing with an emergency
- Priorities of treatment
- Casualty transport
- Basic life support
- Shock management
- Wounds and bleeding control
- Burns and scalds treatments.
This elementary first aid course module comprises of all the knowledge required in STCW 95 Table A-VI/1-3 and provides an introduction to the principles of first aid.
4. Personal safety and social responsibilities:
This STCW personal safety and social responsibility course give a basic introduction to training in safety procedures and accidents prevention to prepare students with employment and working conditions abroad. It is a classroom-based course.
The content of personal safety and social responsibilities include:
- Complying and dealing with emergencies
- Contributing to the effectiveness of human relationship onboard ship
- Observing working practices
- Understanding orders and being concerning shipboard duties
- Dealing with emergencies such as collisions, fire foundering, knowledge of shipboard contingency plans for responses to emergencies
- Effect of operational or accidental pollution of the marine environment
- Basic environmental protection procedures
- Importance of maintaining good human working relationship onboard
- Social responsibilities, employment conditions, individual rights and obligations.
- Dealing with the dangers of drugs, alcohol and abuses
On the successful completion of the course, the activities are recorded in seaman books in Dubai and are awarded STCW certifications verifying your achievements.
The ocean is filled with challenges; however, it is the most thrilling job to take up, which entails that one needs to be prepared for it. The detailed introduction about such a maritime course, give students a brief idea about the various opportunities that stand in their way, and how can they grab them by studying well. So, go ahead and prepare yourself for the most exciting journey, in the oceans with maritime courses.